This column first appeared in the September 2015 issue of GreeneSPEAK!
|Playbills adorn the original entrance to the Waynesburg Opera House. (Ten Mile Country blog)|
The Odd Fellows Building was one of three major construction projects in downtown Waynesburg in 1870 as the nation recovered from the Civil War. The others were the Downey House, destroyed in the famous fire of 1925, and the Hook-Morgan Building at High and Morgan Streets, recently rehabilitated by the author. All three featured, for the first time in Waynesburg, commercial spaces with large display windows.
|In this lively downtown scene, ca. 1927-1930, the Opera House has a new marquee. The building next door, later the Colonial, has its original appearance of 1853. (Postcard from the collection of Mary Beth Pastorius)|
| The Fashion Shop has been a steadfast
presence since 1940. Here it is shown in
1951. (Photo by the Observer Publishing Company, archived at Cornerstone