|Early postcard view of First Presbyterian Church. (greeneconnections.com)
|Early 20th century view of the Waynesburg Commons from West Park. On the left is the future site of First Presbyterian Church with Miller Hall, the administration building of Waynesburg College, in the background. (greeneconnections.com)
|Photo taken soon after First Presbyterian Church was completed. The dome of Miller Hall is in the background.(greeneconnections.com)
|Shortly after designing Waynesburg's First Presbyterian Church, architect Philip Horton Smith saved Salem's Old Town Hall from demolition. It had been built in 1816-17. (salemoldtownhall.com)
|Architect Philip Horton Smith designed the Salem Post Office in 1932. (wikipedia.com)
|Interior of Tabernacle Church in Salem, MA, designed two years before First Presbyterian Waynesburg by the same architect. (Tabernacle Church website)
|Interior of First Presbyterian Church, Waynesburg, today.
|Another view, looking toward the balcony.
|Wellesley (Mass.) Congregational Church, built 1918-1922, was designed in the Colonial Revival style by prominent architects Carrere and Hastings. It may have inspired Philip Horton Smith's design of the Salem and Waynesburg churches. (wikipedia.com)
|Another early view of Waynesburg's First Presbyterian Church. (greeneconnections.com)
|The Richhill Street elevation of First Presbyterian Church, Waynesburg.
|This view is dated ca. 1865, shortly before the second Cumberland Church was erected. In the distance on the left is the first building of Waynesburg College, later named Hanna Hall. (greeneconnections.com)
|This was the second building of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Waynesburg. It was demolished in 1941. (greeneconnections.com)
|Erected in 1880, the second building of the mainstream Presbyterian congregation stood on Church Street. The 60-foot addition to the left of the tower was added in 1893-94. (Photo by W. T. Hays; greene connections.com)
|Early 20th century view of the interior of the Presbyterian Church on Church Street. (greeneconnections.com)
After the congregations merged in late 1906, they conducted worship services on Church Street and Sunday School and other activities in the former Cumberland building on West High Street. The united congregation decided to build anew in 1922, and broke ground for the present building in September 1925. Three months later, the building on Church Street was destroyed in the Downey House Fire when sparks were blown by strong winds over the Court House onto their roof. After the fire, they returned to the former Cumberland Presbyterian building on West High Street for worship services until the new building was completed in October 1926.
|The Presbyterian Church on Church Street was destroyed in the Downey House Fire of December 1925. The lot remained vacant until 1939 when the Democrat Messenger Building was erected. (Wilmington, DE newspaper; newspapers.com)